GH15

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: grade A sushi rules  (Read 4849 times)

Tunabrah

• King
Re: grade A sushi rules
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2014, 03:11:27 AM »

By the way i watched the video of Jiro, hes amazing! and he said the same things as gh15 about temprature, rice, fish quality and freshness

sunkus4444

• WIZARD
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2014, 05:21:09 AM »

Had time to get some fresh fish today. Can easily have sushi-grade fish 3-4x a week because of free Wednesdays, Saturdays+Sundays so I have time to go buy it fresh

How does this look? gh15 approved?

Fishmongers claimed this was sushi-grade

Salmon, sea bream and tuna

Making it into a chirashi later on today

I don't have a sashimi knife and don't know how to slice it properly so I probably butchered the fish, but hey I'm the one eating it and IDGAF lol.

Tuna looks very nice , like gh15 stadet if it dosent smell like fish its A grade fresh fish ,it should not have strong fishy smell ....

Nah, no smell at all, tasted a bit of each and it's fuckin orgasmic, especially the salmon, the fat makes it almost buttery in taste....way better than the sushi you get in takeaway chains in the UK like yo sushi, itsu (the tuna in itsu is a dull brown colour lmao), wasabi etc

For the UK fellas in London, I got it from the fishmongers in Selfridges food hall, give it a go if you're nearby

that says it all SELFRIDGES :)
All The Best ....Your Friend sunkus4444

bigeyedfish

• WIZARD
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2014, 06:11:35 AM »

Haha, that's awesome. You should make it your avatar.

Ronz

• WIZARD
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2014, 06:58:36 AM »

The finished product

Added ginger + some 'Whoop-Ass' habanero sauce. So simple and easy to prep, yet wholesome.

I wanted the rice sticky so I soaked the rice+cooked it in the same water without washing out the starch and added apple cider vinegar

Tempting lol

sunkus4444

• WIZARD
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2014, 07:32:44 AM »

The finished product

Added ginger + some 'Whoop-Ass' habanero sauce. So simple and easy to prep, yet wholesome.

I wanted the rice sticky so I soaked the rice+cooked it in the same water without washing out the starch and added apple cider vinegar

Tempting lol

That looks delicious , enjoy :)
All The Best ....Your Friend sunkus4444

gh15

• SUPERNOVA
  • i dont withness history,, i write it
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2014, 10:29:41 AM »

Had time to get some fresh fish today. Can easily have sushi-grade fish 3-4x a week because of free Wednesdays, Saturdays+Sundays so I have time to go buy it fresh

How does this look? gh15 approved?

Fishmongers claimed this was sushi-grade

Salmon, sea bream and tuna

Making it into a chirashi later on today

I don't have a sashimi knife and don't know how to slice it properly so I probably butchered the fish, but hey I'm the one eating it and IDGAF lol.

Tuna looks very nice , like gh15 stadet if it dosent smell like fish its A grade fresh fish ,it should not have strong fishy smell ....

Nah, no smell at all, tasted a bit of each and it's fuckin orgasmic, especially the salmon, the fat makes it almost buttery in taste....way better than the sushi you get in takeaway chains in the UK like yo sushi, itsu (the tuna in itsu is a dull brown colour lmao), wasabi etc

For the UK fellas in London, I got it from the fishmongers in Selfridges food hall, give it a go if you're nearby

very hard to tel from picture but  look eatable...
if not frozen and has the right color and melt in mouth ...then we are getting somewhere lol

gh15 approved
time is a loop in space,, at some point in time ...time travel is invented,, therefor time travelers are here,, now.

I TAKE ZERO RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT
PEOPLE DECIDE TO DO TO THEIR BODY!
IM NOT YOUR DOCTOR! I DESCRIBE WHAT I DID AND DO ON MY OWN PHYSIQE,,I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY TO ONE'S ACTIONS

Ronz

• WIZARD
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2014, 03:08:43 AM »

Added a seaweed mix this time (green = wakame, white=agar and red seaweed = aka tsunomata)

Just soak the dried seaweed in water for a few mins and it bloofs up to make an epic mineral-rich garnish.   

fellafran

• WIZARD
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2014, 05:38:55 AM »

Added a seaweed mix this time (green = wakame, white=agar and red seaweed = aka tsunomata)

Just soak the dried seaweed in water for a few mins and it bloofs up to make an epic mineral-rich garnish.

yummm very nice my friend

New user

• WIZARD
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2014, 11:07:44 AM »

Unfortunately, I've only had sushi from the grocery store,
But It is on my list to go to a nice restraunt and really see if its as good as it sounds/looks

Ronz

• WIZARD
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2014, 06:06:28 AM »

I'm taking this sushi shit seriously...ordered a cheap 8-inch yanagiba sashimi knife for starters (will get a better one when I'm not a student)

(looks like this)

but now I need to learn how to use the yanagiba properly. It also doubles-up as a carving knife for other meat, although I'll use it exclusively for sashimi.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=robvvJZkfcU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=robvvJZkfcU</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHyd4obmNNw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHyd4obmNNw</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKnhOGc68YY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKnhOGc68YY</a>

Bet its harder than it looks lmao

Seems like you need to use a pulling motion at an angle with the yanagiba rather than a sawing/chopping motion when you slice the fish. Also cut across the white fat lines of the fish.

Then there's the whole business of sharpening with whetstones

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExpQB_WF5ug" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExpQB_WF5ug</a>

If I'm gonna be prepping this regularly, I may as well do it right lol.

Ronz

• WIZARD
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2014, 12:11:44 AM »

that says it all SELFRIDGES :)

Any legit fishmonger would be good I assume, as long as you make sure the fish is fresh (brought in that day or the day before) and that the fishmonger knows his shit (ie confirms it's sushi grade).

Also London fellas should try out the fishmongers in Fortnum and Mason food hall. They have a bit more variety than Selfridges (scallops, salmon roe, sea urchin and occasionally squid) and the value is fuckin amazing. 600g of mixed fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel) works out at 14-15pounds.For me that's a 2-day supply and that stuff is way cheaper than takeouts, chinese, pizzas etc and is extremely affordable to have everyday, let alone 3-4x/week. 

BUT Selfridges salmon/tuna/bream/mackerel is markedly better than Fortnum and Mason's. A bit more expensive (4-5pounds more expensive for 600g of mixed fish) but well worth it because the quality is on a different level.

In short, Selfridges for your basic fish (salmon, tuna, sea bream, mackerel, sea bass, rainbow trout, lemon sole) and Fortnum and Mason for the less common stuff (squid, salmon roe, scallops)

Of course it's more expensive than bulk-buying beef, chicken, frozen white fish etc but cmon fellas it's your body, it's worth it! You're spending more on vials of trenbolona lol, take pride in what you eat.

One more thing...check out this link, it's a blog post by a London fishmonger who knows his sushi fish well

http://londonfishmonger.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/sushi-sashimi-confusion-can-you-tell_28.html

As well as good tips on what to look for in fish freshness in general (clear non-cloudy eyes, red gills, shiny, bright skin, colour of the flesh etc) he also offers his opinion on British fish that can be used in sushi.

Rules are a bit different for UK fellas as the European species of seafood like sea urchin, abalone and yellowtail are different to the americano stuff so we can't really get the good stuff from those species fresh.

However common British produce is becoming popular in sushi over here and works really well

eg sea bream (gilt head sea bream is epic, that's what I used in my chirashi pics above....LOVE IT, soft texture and buttery taste, my favourite white fish by far)

mackerel (Has an almost earthy/sweet taste to it, total contrast to salmon + tuna . MUST have that fresh shine on its green back stripes and the flesh must be a brownish tint...if it's white, IT'S SHITE.)

and lemon sole (never tried lemon sole as a sashimi yet but I will)

UK fellas we have plenty of great local seafood that might be uncommon in sushi but is still awesome

Ronz

• WIZARD
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2014, 06:38:30 AM »

Salmon, tuna and sea-bream again, love this combo

Knife skills

Added salmon roe to the seaweed/ginger/fish combo this time

Will never get tired of this shit

gh15

• SUPERNOVA
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2014, 07:36:38 AM »

^ looks good actualy ,, looks very good

gh15 approved
time is a loop in space,, at some point in time ...time travel is invented,, therefor time travelers are here,, now.

IM NOT YOUR DOCTOR! I DESCRIBE WHAT I DID AND DO ON MY OWN PHYSIQE,,I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY TO ONE'S ACTIONS

fellafran

• WIZARD
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2014, 10:34:46 AM »

Salmon, tuna and sea-bream again, love this combo

Knife skills

Added salmon roe to the seaweed/ginger/fish combo this time

Will never get tired of this shit

think we might have future sushi chef here in the board..very tasty dammnit.

and guys have you checked his avatar? AMAZING AHAHAHAH

DanfesqLot

• Conditional Junior
grade A sushi rules
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2019, 08:35:35 PM »

I love quality fish.

malfeasance

• Global Elf Mod
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2019, 11:02:23 PM »

Anybody caught anisakiasis from sushi?

wow

I don't say wow normally but this post is one of the best ever on gh15.org and deserves a wow

bravo,,

gh15 approved

pilip99

• WIZARD
  • The Last Airbender
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2019, 12:24:37 AM »

Anybody caught anisakiasis from sushi?

malf that is disgusting bro hahaha;

gh15

• SUPERNOVA
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2019, 10:59:25 AM »

I eat so much raw fish.. never had an issue.. now yes I eat grade A most of the time and pay a lot for that grade A but.. raw fish never gave an issue and it is 90-95% of my diet,, yes you read correctly

gh15 approved

Calves of Steel

• WIZARD
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2019, 08:06:29 AM »

Leg day = sushi day every week. Something about sushi before the gym is the best pump.
www.sportstechnologylabs.com
25% OFF for the holidays
Extra 10% off Discount Code: GH15
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up